Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Carrot sticks: Half/Full Sour Asian Ferment:

This, I think, is called a half/full sour ferment or a pickle, as we would call it, I think. The secret to success for me is to remember that everything has to be under the brine or else it goes rotten and can ruin your whole jar - if it smells fishy, it is off. It has been suggested to me that if I see any sign of going off, I can save it by sprinkling it with more salt and eating it. ( I hold not responsibly if illness should be caused by your decisions re this). If there is a white film it is ok but not as nice, scoop film and sprinkle with salt. Carrot are meant to taste tangy, when the process is finished - delicious and are used as side dishes in Asia.

Half sour = 1T salt to 2 cups of water
Full sour = 2T salt to 2 cups of water 

It depends on the weather and humidity as to how long it takes to ferment. It takes maybe one too two weeks usually. Hotter it is the quicker it goes. I put side plate or saucers under my jars as they do bubble over. Open up your jars daily to check your ferments, and to release any built up pressure, unless you are just covering with cloth of course, that is easier. (The higher you fill things up the more messy the bubble over. Bubbles are good, that's making it tangy and super healthy for you, full of those marvellous probiotics so needed in our over processed western diet!)

Carrot sticks:
  1. Peel and chop off ends
  2. Cut into sticks 
  3. Sterilise glass jars, I just pour boiling water through them, lids included, I put lids into a bowl and pour boiling water over it
  4. Add carrots and ginger and pack tight as tight as can be
  5. Add cool brine and cover completely, never add boiling brine - I don't ever boil my brine water, just stir salt in at room temperature
  6. Decorate with lime or with radishes
  7. Remove any floaties
  8. Weigh down with a clean rock, cabbage leaf (you can fold it into the sides, so they aren't exposed to the air) etc so carrot don't pop up
  9. Store under 18 degrees
  10. Once fermenting has been done you can store these in the fridge for up to 6 months ( I label and date all my products, permanent pen on glass, it rubs of after a while but stays on long enough to be handy.
Brine recipe: 
  1. 2 cups of rain, spring or filtered water ( chemical free)  
  2. Add salt (sea or rock salt is best. Don't use iodized salt) It should be salty but not too salty 



No comments:

Post a Comment